The following questions are intended solely as a tool to learn about concerns you might have surrounding substance abuse and/or an emotional illness.
SELF-ASSESSMENT: CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY
Take a moment to ask yourself the following questions. Be sure to read through them all and be honest about your answers.
- Are you unhappy?
- Do you find yourself focusing on drugs/alcohol to the exclusion of work and family responsibilities?
- Do you feel that you are different? That you are not an addict – that if it weren’t for your spouse, job stresses, money problems, etc. that you would not be using?
- Does the thought of living without drugs and alcohol seem impossible, too painful?
- Do you ever feel trapped – that you can’t stop using and you can’t go on the way you’re living?
- Do you switch from vodka to beer to wine, from one drug to another, thinking that a particular type of substance is the problem?
- Are you in jeopardy of losing your job or family because of your drinking/drug use?
- Do you use or drink alone?
- Do you refuse to go places where you cannot use or drink?
- Do you hide your use or lie about the amount you drink or use?
- Do you have any legal problems, like a DUI, felony arrests or other “brushes with the law” where your drug/alcohol use was present?
- Have you ever used cocaine, crack, heroin, or pot? Ecstasy, blue ice, PCP, acid or any other designer drugs?
- In the past, have you stopped, cut down, or decided to use/drink “only on weekends,” only to find your use back in full swing after a short time?
- Do you ever feel like you are going crazy, that your life is out of control?
- Is it getting harder to keep it all “under control” – hiding your use, showing up for work, looking and acting “normal,” pretending to be ok?
- Do you use to manage feelings of anger, loss, loneliness and other emotional pain?
- Has anyone commented about your use being excessive?
- Do you feel that no one can help you or that you are beyond help?
- Do you continue to use despite negative consequences?
SELF ASSESSMENT – PSYCHIATRIC / DUAL DIAGNOSIS
- Do I have feelings of sadness and/or irritability?
- Have I been feeling a loss of interest or pleasure in activities or my work that I once enjoyed?
- Have I been experiencing changes in my weight and appetite?
- Am I sleeping more or am I having trouble with falling asleep or waking up during the night or early in the morning?
- Have I been feeling overwhelming guilt, hopelessness or worthlessness?
- Is the ability to concentrate, remember things or make decisions becoming more difficult for me?
- Have I been more fatigued and have less energy than I’ve had in the past even though my workload and normal daily stressors haven’t changed?
- Have my colleagues, family or friends commented on my behavior, restlessness or decreased activity?
- Have I recently had thoughts of suicide or death?
- Do I seem to have more energy and require less sleep in recent weeks/months?
- Have I had periods recently of feeling overly excited and irritable?
- Have I been finding it difficult to relax because my thoughts seem to be racing?
- Have I recently engaged in impulsive behavior and used poor judgment – examples: gambling, sexual promiscuity?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, please call us at 207.767.1717
Or you can E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org